Monomoy Volunteer News April 10, 2019
Monomoy Regional School District believes that our volunteers provide priceless resources to our schools and add valuable educational experiences for our students. Without the help of volunteers and the support of our community, many worthwhile opportunities would not be possible.
It's National Volunteer Week and we want to thank our volunteers for giving their time!
Here are updates on some of the volunteer and community activities happening all across our district:
• During the 2018-2019 school year to date, volunteers have given more than 1,200 hours of their time to support our students! That translates to an economic value of nearly $30,000!
• Our new Monomoy Lighthouse Leader mentoring program is up and running, with matches meeting weekly. This initiative pairs caring adults from the community with MRSD students to offer support, connections, and growth.
One mentor shares, "It’s been rewarding and fun to get to know my mentee and feel that I’m providing some valuable support. It brightens my day to know how excited my mentee is for our time together."
• Student volunteers across the district have supported events such as the Touch a Truck for the Jesse Nash Fund/Neuroblastoma Research, Cradles to Crayons Clothing Drive, Monomoy Chili Cook-off, and Chatham 365 Public Forum.
• Parent volunteers have helped organize the guided reading library and assembled Kindergarten readers at HES.
• Community volunteers mentor students in the Oak Street Academy at MRHS with advice and instruction on financial planning, job skills, and more.
• Numerous parents, staff, local businesses, and organizations donated time, funding, and materials to the MRHS Prom and After-Prom Party.
MRSD has been the grateful recipient of a number of grants to support programs, events, and projects throughout the district. Here is a sampling of recent grants:
• The Chatham Community Playground at Chatham Elementary School was approved for a CPC grant - this funding needs approval at Chatham Town Meeting and in the town election.
• Harwich Elementary School and the Town of Harwich were selected for a Safe Routes to School grant - read more here.
• Monomoy Regional Middle School took an all-school field trip to the Providence Performing Arts Center to see The Phantom of the Opera - click here for details on the organizations that helped fund the trip.
• The Chatham PTO needs volunteers to help with the school Talent Show - please email Deborah Hanley to learn more.
To stay updated on volunteer opportunities that may be of interest, be sure to complete our Volunteer Registration Form! All volunteers must also have a current CORI on file.
For more details about volunteering in our schools, please be sure to visit www.monomoy.edu/volunteer.
Joy Jordan, Community Engagement Coordinator
Monomoy Regional School District
email@example.com • (508) 945-5140 x1101