Summer Reading Message 2023
As the end of the school year draws near, I’ve been reflecting on how much I’ve enjoyed sharing books with your children this year. My hope is that they will continue to read for pleasure over the summer. To ensure your children have access to great books, I’m excited to tell you about Sora, a reading app we used in the library this year.
Sora is a collection of thousands of ebooks and audiobooks, and it’s accessible 24/7. It can help students of all ages read more and improve comprehension. Struggling or reluctant readers, learning-challenged, second language learners, and gifted readers can all benefit from this service.
- Enrich vocabulary and improve comprehension and pronunciation
- Introduce students to books above their reading level
- Teach critical listening
- Help busy kids find time to read
- Incentivize reading with fun avatars and achievements
- Allow easy access to the public library’s collection, too! (In the Sora menu select: +Add a library)
How can my child access Sora?
- Download the free Sora app from the Apple App store, Google Play Store or visit
- Choose Monomoy Regional School District from the dropdown menu.
- Sign in using your child’s school Google ID and password
- Enjoy anytime, anywhere on a computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Where can I find more information?
- Sora Help: https://help.soraapp.com/en-us/home.htm
- Sora How-To Videos: https://resources.overdrive.com/k-12-schools/how-to-videos/sora/
Where else can I find great books?
The public library! The Brooks Free Library in Harwich is another resource where students can access books during the summer. In addition, the Brooks Free Library will be running a free Summer Reading Program. Every time your student reads (or is read to) for 2.5 hours they will get a free book and a small prize. If your student reads 20 minutes every day, they will have completed that 2.5 hours after just one week! Students can track their reading progress online or by coloring in stars on a bookmark and turning the bookmark in at the Brooks Free Library. The Brooks Free Library will also have a number of fun, free programs running all summer long.
Have a wonderful summer full of reading!
Harwich Elementary School Librarian
HES Summer Reading
Harwich Elementary School students are encouraged to participate in the Brooks Free Library Summer Reading program! The Summer Reading Program starts today at the Brooks Free Library! Every time a child reads for a total of 2.5 hours, they can earn a free book and a small prize! Sign up at the library or online at https://brooksfreelibrary.beanstack.org/reader365